FRIENDS. SHARING. FOOD.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dear Basil Plant,

I hope you are enjoying your summer; you have certainly been a tasty addition to ours.  We care for you meticulously, giving you long sips of water every morning, and an occasional evening shower.  I'm amazed by how fast you grow, I feel like a proud parent.


Recently you're given us these delicate white flowers, which were a delightful and unexpected gift.  Most importantly, you've given such wonderful flavor to late dinners on the balcony with friends.  When I think of my favorite summer evenings, they usually have a hint of you.  So thank you for letting me put some of your fragrant leaves in our summer salads.  Maybe if we're kind enough to you, you'll stick around for our soups in autumn.

Love, 
Lil


Tangy Basil Dressing

Note: I never follow recipes to a T.  Instead, I use them for inspiration, so play around with this.

8 large cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh lime juice, or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1/3 cup sugar
2 fresh serrano chiles (to reduce heat, remove seeds)
large handful chopped fresh basil
water if needed

tasty on noodles, veggies, a spoon...

No comments:

Post a Comment